Relocation to a faraway place is never stress-free. It can weigh heavily on anyone intending to move. Sometimes even with prior preparation, the task can be very nerve-wracking. The timeline given below will aid in planning a far-off relocation many days earlier.
Two Months Ahead Of The Moving Day
- Make a list of every item in the home. Arrange them in three groups: retain, give away, vend. It would be better to dispose of as many things as possible. Relocation is easier if one has few things to move.
- Determine where every piece of furniture will go in the new area. This will help keep your spirits up as you look forward to the move.
- Secure all relevant documents such as travel documents and government records for every member of the household including animals.
- Make calls to learning institutions in the new area to ensure learning is not interrupted.
- In case there is a need for storage space, make arrangements to move the items. This is a great option when moving to a smaller home.
- Plan to make final repairs and touch-ups in the new abode.
- Confirm plane tickets dates and times if traveling by air rather than by road.
- Research the best long distance movers in Ottawa and get price estimates.
One Month Prior
- Change mailing address in all places that require it to send you important documents and items. Request posting to be done in the new address.
- Make changes to your insurance to have the items in the new abode covered.
- Handle the utilities in the new house such as telephone, internet, among others. You can also set a shut-off date for those in the old house.
- Begin to package all items that will not be needed.
- Verify both the move-out and move in dates to ensure that there will be no hitches.
- In case you will be traveling by air, buy plane tickets now to ensure you get great prices.
Two To Three Days Ahead
- Take care of all medical requirements. Inform health service providers of your intended relocation and ensure that you send all relevant medical files to the new healthcare providers.
- Organize to get a new driving license and car registration more so when moving to a different state.
- Pack up some more things.
One Week To Relocation
- Take apart beds and huge furnishings the night prior to relocation to make transporting smooth. When using movers, ensure that they have proper directions and contacts.
- Remove all appliances such as the refrigerator from the sockets.
- Package all items that are used daily into a single box to ascertain that you have them close by and available when needed.
- Confirm carefully that everything has been packed. Use the inventory to assist in confirming that nothing has been left out.
- Make arrangements to have someone available at the old house to handle the movers. Ensure they also have a list of things that will be moved by the movers.
- Give back the house keys to the landlord or agent.
When The Items Get To The New Home
- Go through the entire home to ensure that all is well and everything works well.
- Go through the checklist to confirm that every item has gotten to the new place. Check that none of them got ruined during the journey.
- Once confirmation has been done that everything got there safely, begin to unpack and enjoy the new home.