A long-distance move is an exciting adventure, but it can also be quite stressful. One of the biggest challenges is deciding what to take with you and what to leave behind. It’s easy to get overwhelmed and don’t know where to start.
When you’re preparing for a long-distance move, determining your priorities is essential. If you’re having a hard time deciding which items you should get rid of, read on for some professional advice on the subject.
Of course, you always have the option of hiring long-distance movers in Edmonton who can help you organize your belongings and provide useful guidance about packing. By following their tips and weighing out your options, you can simplify your move and make the transition to your new home easier.
How to decide what to leave behind when moving?
As you go through your belongings, you might feel like you need to take everything with you. It’s particularly hard parting with items that have sentimental value.
Here are some tips to help you make the right choices:
- Determine your priorities. Identify the items that are most important to you and that you use frequently. Think about your lifestyle, hobbies, and interests. This will help you decide what to take with you and what to leave behind.
- Think about the size and weight of items, as larger and heavier ones can be more challenging and costly to move, while fragile items require special packaging, sometimes even insurance, so consider if you really need those too.
- Evaluate the condition of items. If an item is old or worn out, it may not be worth taking. Replacing the item once you arrive at your new location might be more cost-effective. On the other hand, if an item is in good condition and you use it regularly, it may be worth bringing it along.
- Think about sentimental value. Some items might not be practical or useful, but they can nevertheless be difficult to part with. If you have a large collection of sentimental items, consider keeping a few and letting go of the rest.
If you feel bad about simply throwing out certain items, you can donate them to charity, which would be a great way to give back to the community that was your home. The other option is selling them online or having a yard sale. If there are items you’re still undecided about, you can rent a storage space unit until you’re ready to make a final decision.
What items should I get rid of before moving?
By getting rid of these items, you can reduce your load and simplify your move. This can make the transition to your new home more manageable. Here are some items to consider getting rid of before your move:
- Old or worn-out furniture. These items can be challenging and costly to move, and it might be more practical to sell or donate them and replace them once you arrive at your new location.
- Outdated electronics, like old computers, TVs, or gaming systems, can take up a lot of space and be challenging to move. You can donate or recycle these items, especially if you’ve already upgraded to newer versions.
- Clothes you don’t wear can take up a lot of space, especially if you have a large collection. Go through your wardrobe and get rid of long forgotten stuff from the back of the closet or clothes that no longer fit.
- Kitchen gadgets you don’t use. Go through your kitchen and get rid of appliances that have been collecting dust for too long.
- Books and magazines can be heavy and take up a lot of space. Of course, you want to keep your favorite books, but those that you’re not particularly fond of don’t need to be a permanent part of your collection.
- Excess toys. If you have children, consider leaving some toys behind. They can take up a lot of space, so through them and get rid of the ones they no longer play with or have outgrown.
- Hazardous materials, like chemicals and cleaning supplies, can’t be transported by movers. Contact your local waste management or recycling center for guidance on how to dispose of hazardous materials.
- Duplicates. For example, if you have two blenders or three sets of dishes, it would be practical to get rid of the extras.
Who can connect me to reliable long-distance movers in Edmonton?
If you’re looking for a company that’s well-versed in all the specificities of a long-distance move, CAmovers can help you find a trustworthy long-distance service to take care of every step of your moving process, you can rely on us to take all your needs into consideration and find you the best fit. Call us today!